Wednesday 17 July 2013

Bittersweet Creativity

Creativity...how boring wouldn't life be without it?

I often ponder upon this question...

The answer is fairly simple though; life would be pretty damn boring without it!

Creativity, I guess, can show itself in many forms... Books, music, inventions, buildings, films, art, etc. The list probably has no end. So, when thinking about it, human life wouldn't be as we know it, were it not for creativity. Perhaps there would be no significant human life at all!

Creativity is wonderful.
It is, at least for me, a way to escape the daily, often stressful, life and dive into a world of marvel and wonder. A way to dream myself away; far, far, far away from the world as I know it. To just let go of my worries, and let them flow out on a blank sheet of paper in front of me...

It is very...relieving.

However, with great power comes great risk. How many awful things has not creativity lured the human race to invent and initiate?

Weapons, war, destruction...

Maybe we are not fit to handle the full power of creativity yet, not completely, and maybe we never will be...
Creativity seems to be unquenchable; even if we know better the drive and curiosity to create may lead us astray.

Yet, I would never give up creativity.   

All good things have their drawbacks, but this doesn't mean we shouldn't utilise what has been given to us. That, if something, would be stupid.
One has only to pay attention to how the gift one has been bestowed with is put to use. What can be used to destroy can also be used to save, and vice-versa, the choice is in the hands of the wielder. This is a case true for creativity as well.

Creativity is also something we all experience, at all ages. I recently found myself thinking of the comics I drew as a kid. The plots were extremely naïve and simple, filled with childish humour. But, the idea behind them and the simplicity itself really strike me as amazing today. I could never create like that anymore. Never make such an easy and everyday thing into an interesting story.
Even though my mind is still mine I cannot use it in the same way I once did, which in a way feels like a significant loss...
On the other hand I am sure I have gained plenty of new aspects and benefits to my thinking, but the creativity I once possessed is no longer with me...

The simplicity has been replaced with complexity...

As I sat here, writing, I suddenly got into the mood of creating. And, because the theme of this post is creativity, I decided to incorporate whatever creation I made.
I am no poet, so I don't know whether this qualifies as a poem, but it's my brain's response to Lunatic Soul's Where The Darkness Is Deepest. The music gives me shivers; it is looming and eerie, and yet so filled with emotions...


The Whisper

A voice that whispers sweetly, 
Murmurs in my ear,
A stream of tickling, hot air

A scream of desperation, 
Echoes in the dark,
A chorus of sad, desolate pleading

Pale fingers flexing slowly,
Clenching around my neck,
A lack of precious, essential breath

A vision growing blurry, 
A life that fades away,
A sound forever muffled,
.
.
.
The whisper was; farewell





1 comment:

  1. Amazing entry!
    In my opinion, it's your best so far ;)

    I've thought along similar lines myself at times, and I have to agree with all that you say!


    As you might know, poetry is not really my thing, but I still kinda like your poem :D

    ReplyDelete